The International Education Awards are sponsored by the Office of International Programs and the Mu chapter of Phi Beta Delta Honor Society for International Scholars.
The Student International Education Award recognizes a student for his/her outstanding contributions to and involvement in international programs and studies at UNC Charlotte.
The Student International Education Award recipient will receive a plaque of recognition and $500 monetary award.
Both Undergraduate & Graduate Students
- Enrollment in a full-time degree-granting program at UNC Charlotte.
- Have had significant involvement in academic, service and/or co-curricular activities with an international focus.
- Specific criteria outlined for UG and Grad students below.
- A student may receive the award only once. A list of past recipients of the award is available online.
- Undergraduate students must be at the junior level or above.
- Undergraduates must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0
- Graduate students must have completed at least one semester.
- Graduate students must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5
2017 Application Process and Timeline for the Student International Education Award
The nomination period is Monday, February 27 - Wednesday, March 15, 2017.
- All members of UNC Charlotte are eligible to nominate a full-time student at UNC Charlotte who meet the award criteria.
- Self-nomination is also acceptable (if self-nominating, proceed directly to the application form).
- Submit the online nomination form.
- The nominee will be notified immediately of his/her nomination.
- Each nominee is required to submit additional documents information pertinent to his/her application. No further action is needed by the nominator unless the nominee requests a letter of support.
The deadline for a Student International Education Award nominee to complete the award application package is Wednesday, March 29, 2017.
Before submitting the application form please note that you will need to obtain the following:
- One recommender who is prepared to provide a letter of support: You will be asked to enter the name and email of the person you are requesting to write the letter; the recommender will be notified electronically of the upload process for the letter of support. The letter of support should reference the student’s contribution to global perspectives and cultural awareness, including discussion of the nominee’s academic experience, service, and co-curricular activities with an international focus. The recommendation deadline is April 3, 2017.
- A 1-page personal statement/summary of international education engagement and contribution (PDF).
- Resume (PDF).
When you are ready, please submit the online application form and upload your supporting documents.
Once the awards committee selects the awardee, then notification will be shared. The awardee will be notified no later than Friday, April 7, 2017.
International Education Award Program
The Student International Education Award winner will be recognized at the IE Awards Program. Please save-the-date for the awards reception: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 from 3:30pm - 5:00pm in the Halton Reading Room, Atkins Library.